ShelterBox Trust (We) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
This policy sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is ShelterBox Trust and our registration number is Z928330X.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- information that you provide by filling in forms on our site www.shelterbox.org (our site). This includes information provided at the time you sign up for our newsletter. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our site;
- if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence; and
- details of your visits to our site and the resources that you access.
IP addresses and cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
For the same reason, we may obtain information about your general internet usage by using a cookie file which is stored on the hard drive of your computer. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive. They help us to improve our site and to deliver a better and more personalised service. They enable us:
- to estimate our audience size and usage pattern.
- to store information about your preferences, and so allow us to customise our site according to your individual interests; and
- to recognise you when you return to our site.
This site uses Hotjar, a service that analyses the online behaviour and voice of our website users. Hotjar uses a combination of analysis tools and feedback tools. The analysis tools allow Hotjar and ShelterBox to measure and observe your behaviour (what you do) while the feedback tools allow Hotjar and ShelterBox to hear what you have to say. This site uses a tracking code which contacts Hotjar’s servers and provides a script to the computer or device accessing our website. The script captures non-personal information including standard internet log information and details of your behavioural patterns on the site. This information is then sent to Hotjar’s servers for processing. We use these tools to provide you with a better experience, identify preferences, diagnose technical problems, analyse trends and generally to improve the website. This is all done anonymously so nothing identifies you as an individual.
Where we store your personal data
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to notify you about changes.
We may also use your data to provide you with information by post when requested by you. We will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or text) with information requested by you. If you do not want us to use your data in this way please tick the relevant box situated on the form on which we collect your data.
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- in the event that we dispose of, acquire or merge with another charity in which case we may disclose your personal data;
- if ShelterBox Trust is acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by us about our site users and donors will be transferred; and
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation; or to protect the rights, property, or safety of ShelterBox Trust or our site users and donors.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by ticking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our site may, from time to time, contain links to other websites. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.